Saturday, January 25, 2014

Whole30 - Week 1

That same friend that convinced me to run a half marathon - yeah she also convinced me that I should do a Whole30 challenge.

I started this week, and so far what I have noticed is that I cook more.  My eating habits aren't really that different, other than no carbs or cheese.  The real kicker to Whole30 is no drinking.  Yup, this social butterfly gets to spend a month sober.  No wine. No beer. No martinis.

As a vegetarian, most of the things that I eat are "fake meat" or fresh tossed in some pasta.  Most packaged stuff in the grocery store has beef or chicken bullion in it, so those are already out.  Most frozen foods - same thing.  Most soups - you got it, beef and chicken stock.  Those are all foods outlawed  by Whole30 - I was a step ahead already. I have replaced pasta with eggs this week and I have noticed that I have more energy in the mornings.

I know that I don't have any willpower, so I don't keep sweets or chips in the house.  I will sit and eat an entire package and then puke all night long from a tummy ache.  Chips and Salsa or Guacamole are one of my favorite snacks.  But for 30 days, those are out.  PS "Porcine Spice" is ground pig skin, so Doritos and a whole bunch of other snacks were already out.  That being said, Jalapeno or Salt N Vinegar Kettle Chips make me happy, happy, happy!!

Over the last couple years I have listened to so many of my friends jump on the CrossFit and Whole30 bandwagon, and I had this impression that it was so hard!  That it was just an absolute life altering diet.  The truth of the matter is that those people had to be eating total crap ALL THE TIME.  The first week is in the books and I can say that I've noticed a few minor changes - the main one is my hands arent as swollen.  Im going to chalk that up to salt in the "fake meat" and carbs being eliminated this week.

Week 1... check!!

No comments:

Post a Comment